Saturday, September 01, 2007

TOPIC: US Open - Day 6: Sharapova is OUT!
That's right! The returning ladies champion and all too self-confident Maria Sharapova is now just a spectator at the US Open. A relatively unknown 18 year old Polish cutie named Agnieszka Radwanska retired the shreak-queen, Sharapova, just a few minutes ago -- 6-4, 1-6, 6-2.
Radwanska, who is actually ranked #30, was thought to be a walk-over for glamor girl Maria. However, the quiet Pole played tough, shaking Sharapova into giving up at least eight double faults.
As you may be able to discern, I'm not a Sharapova fan, but I do respect her talent. That makes the defeat even more of a surprise for many. While I've never even heard of Radwanska before today, I won't forget her name now. She has put the world's number 2 women's tennis player on the bench -- with such style that she may work her way into my personal top 5 favorites.
Looking forward, the bottom half of the ladies draw is now wide open. Actually, I'm hoping Agnieszka Radwanska will make it to the quarterfinals. If she continues to play like she did today, she has a very good chance. Go Aggie!

More to come later today... Indian hottie Sania Mirza is playing... Roddick is leading Johansson 5-3 in the first set... Federer and my new fav on the men's side, John Isner, play later.

No comments: