Monday, September 06, 2004

TOPIC: The Labor Day Weekend
My family just returned from our Labor Day weekend trip to Camden/Keshaw, SC. We decided to attend the Historic Sportscar Racing, Ltd's event at the Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, SC. What a weekend! Other than a terrible time with Best Western Camden West (which I'll post about later), the weekend was exceptional. The CMP staff was GREAT! The drivers and car owners were FRIENDLY. The cars were AWESOME!
I have been a fan of Porsche and other exotic makes for more than 30 years -- yes, since I was a small child. However, I have never personally attended any race that involved these cars. This weekend was a dream come true for me. I have the privilege of seeing, touching and enjoying more than two dozen Porsche 911's, 930's, RSRs, 914's and others -- not to mention Triumphs, Mazdas, Jaguars, classic Mustangs and vintage Corvettes. Along with vintage and production cars were retired Indy cars and GTP racers. Mixed in with all of those was a Lotus, a Panoz, and a Genova. And that was just the race cars!
Fellow enthusiasts attended the event driving classic Austin Healeys, Porsches and Maseratis. The one make I was hoping to see, but didn't, was Ferrari. Small disappoinment; easily forgotten. Needless to say, I was drooling most of the weekend.
Folks, if you get a chance to attend an HSR event, especially if they are offering the Rolex Endurance Series races, GO SEE IT! You won't be disappointed. This is IMSA style racing at its best!

No comments: